It’s official! Google has named its new algorithm update dubbed as the “Penguin Update” launched last April 24, 2012.
So, after Panda now it’s time for Google Penguin to smash and change search rankings. The Penguin Update’s main intention is to penalize websites for over optimization or otherwise referred as spamming. With this update, millions of websites have been losing their rankings like soldiers losing on a battlefield!
Are you one of the website webmasters whose rankings vanished after Google Penguin was released?
Early analysis indicates that link signals pointing to your website is a factor! With links playing a big factor, let’s then discuss about the types of links you should acquire as well as the types of links you should avoid.
What are natural links?
Before we talk about the types of link issues we should avoid, first it’s important to understand a bit about Google and links. Primarily with the reason that Google sees links as editorial “votes”.
So, in a manner, websites who acquired the most votes’ ranks higher on Google because more visitors find it relevant and worthy.
Like any other search engines, Google analyzes the quantity, quality and relevance of websites linking to a website. More things even happen as Google looks on your link profile; it considers the types of websites linking to your site and how fast you have acquired these links.
Even the anchor texts (the works with links) you used from the linking website is being monitored. When Google algorithms discover unnatural links, large volume of low quality links and inequality in the anchor texts, it raises a big red flag!
As a lot of SEO experts kept saying, attracting natural links can be done by creating unique, high quality, interesting and worth linking contents dubbed as “Linkable Assets”.
Types of Link Issues
When you visit Google Webmasters forum, you noticed how great the effect of this Penguin update is. A lot of webmasters have been complaining about their sites having low rankings and even vanishing on search engine results.
If you are one of the sites affected by Google Penguin, the absence of natural links appears to be the reason. Below are the types of link issues that must be avoided.
1. Paid Links. This is simply the links websites bought from another website targeting a specific keyword. Often times paid links are nofollow free which allows links to pass link juices.
Why paid links are bad? It is because buying links allows people to use money to influence search engine results. This is completely against Google guidelines of acquiring organic links, thus with the Penguin update Google was able to penalize websites who have been buying or even selling links just to manipulate the search results.
2. Comment Spam. This type of link issue comes in 2 forms.
· Signature in comments that contain exact anchor text.
· People who uses anchor text instead of using name (like you’re supposed to!).
3. Guest Blogging on Questionable sites. Although guest blogging is a legitimate and proper way to build links, guest blogging on questionable sites isn’t going to give you good results.
As Google Penguin went live a lot of blogs who accepts guest post were slapped! These sites are filled with low quality articles wherein its focus was on the anchor text rather than the content.
4. Article Directory sites. Gone are the days where article marketing is the best way to improve your search engine rankings. Vast numbers of article directory were also affected by Google Penguin which calls to the attention for webmasters not to entirely depend on article marketing.
5. Dangerous and Infected sites. Sites that have malwares, numerous pop-ups and spammy issues isn’t going to give you good either. Surely, Google doesn’t like sending users to dangerous sites which can also be a cause of your site being vanished!
You need to Act!
Now that you already know what types of link issues you need to avoid, the next step comes to you! You need to act.
Yeah it’s easier to blame Google and sign for a petition asking Google to kill its Penguin update, but this isn’t the time to give up.
Now is the time to check and see your website, do an appropriate and thorough evaluation of your backlinks profile, fix your website and create a wiser marketing and link building.