ionCube Encoder is a professional encoding solution for PHP, which can give an easy way to secure the PHP source code from theft, change or allows to license the files.
Though this is a good tool for saving the source code and most of the web hosting does provide support for ionCube loader, which is a way to load the encrypted files and run them. So most of the time it is transparent to the user.
You just Install the encrypted plugins in the similar way as other plugins, you wouldn’t know the difference. The plugin will get install and run like any other plugin.
But If you try to install those plugin on your localhost, you need to have ionCube Loader installed with the PHP. If you do not have it installed you will get an fatal error while installing those plugin.
Why Do you want to do that?
You should have a copy of your blog installed on your localhost, it will help you do the testing on localhost before moving it to your live server. This is a good way to avoid any unwanted issues and downtime for your live blog.
If you do not do that than you might want to consider having Backupbuddy for your blog, which can take a backup at routine time and upload them to your preferred remote locations. One of the good ways to recover if you face issues with a live installation.
How to install ionCube Loader
1. To install ionCube Loader you need to include their loader dll to your PHP install. You can download it according to your OS from the link below:
2. Start Your IIS server. In case you are using webmatrix, you can start any of your site.
3. Unzip the content in your local web path. For webmatrix, you can unzip it to the site folder which you have started.
4. Load the loader-wizard.php file from the unzip content. It will check and let you know if you have the correct file and how to proceed with the installation. Perform the install and keep this window open.
2. You can copy the ioncube_loader_win_5.3.dll to the folder C:\Program Files (x86)\IIS Express\PHP\v5.3\ext\
3. Once the file is there, we need to update the PHP.ini file in folder C:\Program Files (x86)\IIS Express\PHP\v5.3
4. Add the below line as a first line in PHP.ini.
[box type=”gray”]zend_extension = “C:\Program Files (x86)\iis express\PHP\v5.3\ext\\ioncube_loader_win_5.3.dll” [/box]
5. Restart Your IIS server or the site in case of webmatrix.
6. Now from loader-wizard.php, run a test to check if you have done it correctly. It will let you know if ionCube Loader is installed correctly.
[box type=”important”]If you have PHP 5.2 installed in place of PHP 5.3 than in the above process use 5.2 in place of 5.3.[/box]
Once ionCube Loader is installed, you can use encoded php file on your localhost. So set your plugins correctly before you move them to live server.