If you are going to create blog to start your web world and worried about the finances, then you have many options. you can open a blog for $0 (blogger.com), but I am going to talk about your own blog.
If you want to own a blog then you need to get domain name, web hosting, software etc. In case you are not sure for this investment then an easy way is to buy a domain name and host your blog on blogger.com.
Credit: Salvatore Vuono
Blogger provides blog hosting for free, it also provides web address for that blog but it is on the domain of blogspot.com. You can use your domain name and use a setting for custom domain name on the blogger.com.
Benefit to create blog on a private domain name
- If later-on you decide to shift on a professional blogging structure, you own the domain so just need to shift the hosting, set your 301 redirect and you are all set.
- You will not lose your traffic and rating (as long as your 301 direct are setup correctly), because your domain name is not changed.
- You don’t have to worry about hosting and bandwidth charges.
Setup to Create Blog on Your Domain
- Go to blogger.com, If you have an account then log in or create a new account.
- You can create blog, You can choose any web address here as you are going to change it later on.
- Now If you have a domain name you can go ahead to step 5 and update it, or you can go ahead and get a new Domain name. I would like to recommend Godaddy, if you are going to get a new domain name. I buy all my domain name from Godaddy and the experience is great.
- Once you have the domain name and it is active then you can go ahead and update based on the step below.
- You can log into your domain name provider account and made the below mention changes. To provide an example I have used Godaddy screenshot.
- You can open the Domain manager and launch DNS Manager.
- Once You are in the DNS Manager, you can point your domain to google server. To do that you need to change the CNAME and A-records. Choose the CNAME which has entry as www and list “ghs.google.com” as the hostname.
- Now update the A-records. In the A records enter the name of your domain in the format example.com (without www), and point it to 4 different google IP’s. You need to create 4 records for this one for each IP.
- Once you changed CNAME and A-records, then you need to wait for an hour to get it updated. With Godaddy it never took that long, usually it gets changed in less then 15 min.
- Now you can go into blogger and update the settings. In the blogger, choose Settings and then publishing.
- You need to click on Custom domain on that screen, than on the next screen click on switch to advanced settings. (If you don’t want to do the CNAME and A-records update then you can buy the domain name from the Google right here also.)
- Enter your domain name and word verification. Click save settings.
So once you are done with this settings, you have a blog hosted on blogger with your private domain name. If you will able to make it success then you can move it self hosted blog.
Lets us know your thoughts on Create blog in less then $10.